Photo by MacieklewI’ve been whining about seeing the movie "Wanted" since the previews came out. Nothing can hold me back from watching Angelina in an action movie. She can make the straightest female swoon. To avoid the hot and humid Portland weather (yes it does happen) we decided to catch a matinee screening of "Wanted." It was definitely worth the overpriced tickets.
I won't give anything away but only say that I left the movie asking myself, "What am I doing with the rest of my life?" I have gone over that question in my head time and time again. Since I can remember I used to cry that I wasn't good at anything. Living with a genius sister can do that to you.
Hitting my quarter life, the question has been even more prevalent. If you haven't thought about this at one time in your life...ummm...I suggest you do so now and stop wasting precious space on this earth. Stephen Covey addresses this question in his book “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.” He goes through this exercise with the readers. It changed my life. Let me share it with you:
[Imagine you are at YOUR own funeral….scary thought right??]
“As you take a seat and wait for the services to begin, you look at the program in your hand. There are to be four speakers. The first from your family, immediate and also extended – children, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents who have come from all over the country to attend. The second speaker is one of your friends, someone who can give a sense of what you were as a person. The third speaker is from your work or profession. And the fourth is from your church or some community organization where you’ve been involved in service.
“Now think deeply. What would you like each of these speakers to say about you and your life? What kind of husband, wife, father, or mother would you like their words to reflect? What kind of son or daughter or cousin? What kind of friend? What kind of working associate?
“What character would you like them to have seen in you? What contributions, what achievements would you want them to remember? Look carefully at the people around you. What difference would you like to have made in their lives?”
People constantly think about the things they want to do or the things they want to have. My “I wants” have always shaped the goals in my life; I think most people go through life that way. Maybe other people’s wants are affecting you. Your parents, who always tell you what to do or how to live your life, could be affecting you. Your loser friends could be an influence on your life goals and you don’t even know it.
Stephen Covey’s "7 Habits" have made me look at my life in a totally different way. If anything, this passage from his book has made the most impact on my life. Think about it, this strips away all the “I wants” and makes you dive deeper. Think about your current state. Can you say honestly that people will say the nicest things about you? Are you selfish? Are you negative and constantly complaining about everything? Do you always gossip and talk about others behind their back?
Is that what you want to be remembered for? Start living your life with this in mind. If this intrigues you, get “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.” If you are open to it, it will change your life forever.
Now, what do you want to be remembered for?
Cheers!
P.Hobbs
No comments:
Post a Comment