"If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room."
- Anita Roddick
(Founder of the Body Shop)
I have been thinking a lot about volunteering lately. I have not made a huge effort in the past to put aside time to volunteer my time, but the times I have it has made a major impact on my life. At the end of October, a few friends and I (10,000 of them) will be traveling to New Orleans to help restore the “Big Easy” and to be part of one of the largest volunteer efforts in the city.
It makes me think about what I can do in my own city. I know there are many opportunities in Portland to give a helping hand and I will be looking for good organizations to be a part of. My friend Nona is a Big Sister and it has made a big impact on her life. I am thinking of taking the plunge myself! Mentoring is something I have been passionate about and I think that I am in a place in my life where I can be of service.
I will keep you posted on any developments!!
Cheers!
P.Hobbs

2 comments:
i'm so happy to hear about you going to the Big Easy. i wish i could help out there, but i have bills and cannot afford to take an extended amount time off of work to do so. let me know when you go, maybe i'll pop up and say hi. i may be going for my birthday.
xo
Good for you! It's funny that I happened upon your post today because I was brainstorming places to volunteer just this morning. I'm in New York City, so the most difficult part is narrowing it down, not coming up with something! I hope volunteering in New Orleans is a life-changing and clarifying experience for both you and the people you help.
Post a Comment