Wednesday, August 13, 2008

If I had all the time and money in the world....



I had this work meeting yesterday and we played a fun ice breaker. We were given five personal questions to answer on a piece of paper and the group had to guess which person said what. Well, one of the questions was if you had all the money and time in the world, what would you do? I answered: I would travel the world (with my bf who has never stepped foot on non-US soil...absurd I know!), take pictures and blog about my experiences.

Thinking about it after the fact, I would add one more thing. I would volunteer while I traveled around the world and write about that too. Plus, I would love to see Nick experience the joy of helping people less fortunate than he. Nick has such a big heart but has never had the opportunity or taken the time to reach out to the needy. I think it would be life changing for him.

Ever since I was little, I have been blessed with traveling abroad. Having your passport is something that is completely normal to me, and if you don't have one, it just baffles me. My mom is from Singapore and is one of 11! All but 3 of her siblings live in Singapore. I have cousins in England, Australia, and Japan. That isn't even counting the 2nd cousins. We have a family that stretches across the globe.

Being able to travel to countries and see how other people live has really opened my eyes to how awesome I have it here in the US. It also opened my eyes to other cultures and I learned to be respectful of the cultural differences we share. I learned so much at a young age that growing into adulthood and not being able to travel and have the same experiences due to financial constraints pisses me off!

Hence, my answer to the ice breaker question. I would love to document the journey and share my experiences with people who don’t have the financial means to travel and experience life outside our 50 states. There is so much for us to learn from each other. In a time when we seem to be at war because of our religious and cultural differences, I think it’s important to take notice that behind all the bloodshed, we are all people who struggle through life. If everyone just reached out a hand and helped someone in need for the sake of helping, think about the world we would live in.

Anyway...those are my thoughts for the day. What would you do if you had all the time and money in the world?

Cheers!
P.Hobbs

2 comments:

queengilda said...

that's a whole lot of cousins!! :)

if i had the money, i'd set up an animal shelter.

P.Hobbs said...

yeah...I have like 30+ first cousins. I wish we lived closer. Maybe its better that we don't because we would get into a lot of trouble together!